Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Life and the Newbie Birder

I had planned to use this blog as a journal of sorts about my journey as a birder. However, life seems to have had different plans for this past month. It's been an eventful month for birds around here at my home in Franklin County, North Carolina. We had a pair of Carolina Wrens nest in a hanging basket on our back porch and a pair of Mourning Doves nest in our bushes. I've seen a variety of species in my yard: Brown Thrasher, Eastern Towhee, Northern Cardinal, Tufted Titmouse, Downy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Cedar Waxwing, and Eastern Bluebird to name a few. Also, I made my first birding-specific outing to Durant Park in Raleigh, North Carolina, where I was able to see a Belted Kingfisher (simply amazing to watch catching fish) and a Red-shouldered Hawk.

I still plan to discuss my experiences with some of these species in the not-too-distant future, along with other things that may interest other newbie birders like myself, such as field guides, binoculars, and birding books. Maybe I'll even start posting some reviews for these various items; perhaps I can help other fledgling birders wade through the numerous items available to birders. I also have some pictures to post so I can spruce the place up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment