Thursday, June 14, 2012

Tantalizingly Disappointing

That's how I would describe my walk today. I live in a rural part of North Carolina, surrounded by hundreds (thousands?) of acres of trees. In the evenings I like to take walks, sometimes carrying my binoculars with me so I can stop and watch birds along the way. I set out today intending to count species that I saw along the way.

The good news is that I heard a large number of species; it seemed like the birds were extra lively today. But the problem was I couldn't see them. They always seemed to be hidden behind just the right leaves or to fly away just when I found them. I heard the strong thunks and distinct call of a woodpecker that I didn't recognize (turned out I believe it was a Pileated Woodpecker, which I haven't seen yet). The ever-elusive Northern Bobwhite was out and about in force, and I caught a brief glimpse of what I believe was female Wild Turkey.

It was a great day of almost. I hope there's a little less teasing come tomorrow's walk.

P.S. I have a new pair of binoculars on the way. After I get a chance to give them a workout, I'll share my experience with binocular shopping and my thoughts on the binoculars I chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment